DocX alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Office" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of DocX or a related project?
What is DocX?
DocX is a .NET library that allows developers to manipulate Word 2007/2010/2013 files, in an easy and intuitive manner. DocX is fast, lightweight and best of all it does not require Microsoft Word or Office to be installed.
NOTE: There is a new Master branch as of Oct. 3, 2017. Please read about the [Classic branch](../../wiki/Classic-Branch) if you were using this project before the change.
DocX is the free, open source version of Xceed Words for .NET. Originally written by Cathal Coffey, and maintained by Przemyslaw Klys, it is now maintained by Xceed.
Currently, the differences between DocX and Xceed Words for .NET, is that Xceed Words for .NET :
- can convert a Word document to PDF
- adds properties to wrap text around Pictures/Tables/Shapes
- adds Picture cropping
- adds Shapes (rectangles for now)
- adds TextBoxes or Shapes containing Text
- gets Shapes from Paragraphs
- gets Charts from Paragraphs and can modify their categories/values
- is at least two versions ahead of the DocX version
- has professional technical support included in the subscription
What else do I need?
What are the main features of DocX?
Edition DocX Xceed Words for .NET Price Free $529.95 License Ms-PL Proprietary Email support YES
Create new Word documents YES YES Modify Word documents YES YES Create new PDF documents YES Convert Word to PDF YES Supports .DOCX from Word 2007 and up YES YES Modify multiple documents in parallel for better performance YES YES Apply a template to a Word document YES YES Join documents, recreate portions from one to another YES YES Supports document protection with or without password YES YES Set document margins and page size YES YES Set line spacing, indentation, text direction, text alignment YES YES Wrap text around pictures YES Pictures with cropping YES Manage fonts and font sizes YES YES Set text color, bold, underline, italic, strikethrough, highlighting YES YES Set page numbering YES YES Create sections YES YES Update document fields (ex: a table of contents) by calling only one method YES Wrap text around tables YES Wrap text around shapes YES Create shapes (rectangles for now) YES Create textboxes or shapes containing text YES Get shapes from paragraphs YES Get charts from paragraphs and modify their categories/values YES Available on .net standard 2.0+ for .net core 2.0+ applications YES 2 or more release ahead YES
Supported Word document elements
- Add headers or footers which can be the same on all pages, or unique for the first page, or unique for odd/even pages. Can contain images, hyperlinks and more.
- Insert/Modify paragraphs.
- Insert/Modify numbered or bulleted lists.
- Insert/Modify images. Flip, rotate, copy, modify, resize.
- Insert/Modify tables. Insert/Remove rows, columns, change direction, column width, row height, borders, merge/delete cells.
- Insert/Modify formatted equations or formulas.
- Insert/Modify bookmarks.
- Insert/Modify hyperlinks.
- Insert/Modify horizontal lines.
- Insert/Modify charts (bar, line, pie, 3D chart). Set colors, titles, legend, etc.
- Find, remove or replace text. Supports case sensitivity and regular expressions.
- Insert/Modify core or custom properties, such as author, address, subject, title, etc.
- Insert a Table Of Contents. Set title, change formatting.
- Insert/Modify shapes (rectangles for now)
- Update document fields
Why would I use DocX?
DocX makes creating and manipulating documents a simple task. It does not use COM libraries nor does it require Microsoft Office to be installed.
The following blog post from Cathal Coffey compares the code used to create a HelloWorld document using:
- Office Interop libraries,
- OOXML SDK,
- Step by step guide to create an invoice for a company. http://cathalscorner.blogspot.com/2009/08/docx-v1007-released.html
- Replace text across many documents in Parallel. http://cathalscorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/replace-text-across-many-documents-in.html
- Programmatically manipulate an Image imbedded inside a document. http://cathalscorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/programmatically-manipulate-image.html
- Converting DocX into (.doc, .pdf, .html) http://cathalscorner.blogspot.com/2009/10/converting-docx-into-doc-pdf-html.html
Do you have an interesting or informative example that you would like to share? If you do, please email me.
- February 21, 2019, released DocX v1.3.0 with [12 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.3.0).
- January 28, 2019, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.6.0 with [71 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.2.0#Plus160).
- June 27, 2018, released DocX v1.2.0 with [13 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.2.0).
- June 18, 2018, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.5.0 with [71 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0#Plus150).
- April 12, 2018, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.4.1 with [22 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0#Plus141).
- January 15, 2018, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.4.0 with [19 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0#Plus140).
- September 12, 2017, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.3.0 with [13 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0#Plus130).
- June 5, 2017, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.2.0 with [13 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0#Plus120).
- October 3, 2017, released DocX v1.1.0 with [6 bug fixes and improvements](../../wiki/Release-Notes-v1.1.0).
- March 1, 2017, released Xceed Words for .NET v1.1.0 with 6 bug fixes and improvements.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the DocX README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.