Squirrel alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Install tools" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Squirrel or a related project?
We are looking for help with maintaining this important project - please read the discussion in #1470 for more information.
Squirrel: It's like ClickOnce but Works™
Squirrel is both a set of tools and a library, to completely manage both installation and updating your Desktop Windows application, written in either C# or any other language (i.e., Squirrel can manage native C++ applications).
Squirrel uses NuGet packages to create installation and update packages, which means that you probably already know most of what you need to create an installer.
What Do We Want?
Windows apps should be as fast and as easy to install and update as apps like Google Chrome. From an app developer's side, it should be really straightforward to create an installer for my app, and publish updates to it, without having to jump through insane hoops.
- Integrating an app to use Squirrel should be extremely easy, provide a client API, and be developer friendly.
- Packaging is really easy, can be automated, and supports delta update packages.
- Distributing should be straightforward, use simple HTTP updates, and provide multiple "channels" (a-la Chrome Dev/Beta/Release).
- Installing is Wizard-Free™, with no UAC dialogs, does not require reboot, and is .NET Framework friendly.
- Updating is in the background, doesn't interrupt the user, and does not require a reboot.
Refer to our full list of goals for [integrating, packaging, distributing, installing, and updating](docs/goals.md).
See the documentation [Table of Contents](docs/readme.md) for an overview of the available documentation for Squirrel.Windows. It includes a [Getting Started Guide](docs/getting-started/0-overview.md) as well as additional topics related to using Squirrel in your applications.
For the impatient:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/squirrel/squirrel.windows cd squirrel.windows .\.NuGet\NuGet.exe restore msbuild /p:Configuration=Release
See [Contributing](docs/contributing/contributing.md) for additional information on building and contributing to Squirrel.
License and Usage
See [COPYING](COPYING) for details on copyright and usage of the Squirrel.Windows software.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Squirrel README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.