Invoke-Build alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Build Automation" category.
Alternatively, view Invoke-Build alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Invoke-Build or a related project?
Build Automation in PowerShell
Invoke-Build is a build and test automation tool which invokes tasks defined in PowerShell v2.0+ scripts. It is similar to psake but arguably easier to use and more powerful. It is complete, bug free, well covered by tests.
In addition to basic task processing the engine supports
- Incremental tasks with effectively processed inputs and outputs.
- Persistent builds which can be resumed after interruptions.
- Parallel builds in separate workspaces with common stats.
- Batch invocation of tests composed as tasks.
- Ability to define new classes of tasks.
Invoke-Build v3.0.1+ is cross-platform with PowerShell v6.
Invoke-Build can be effectively used in VSCode and ISE.
Several PowerShell Team projects use Invoke-Build.
The package includes the engine, helpers, and the generated help:
- Invoke-Build.ps1 - invokes build scripts, this is the build engine
- Build-Checkpoint.ps1 - invokes persistent builds using the engine
- Build-Parallel.ps1 - invokes parallel builds using the engine
- Resolve-MSBuild.ps1 - finds the specified or latest MSBuild
- Show-TaskHelp.ps1 - shows task help, used on WhatIf calls
- InvokeBuild-Help.xml - external content for Get-Help
- ib.cmd, ib.sh - cmd and bash helpers
Extra tools, see PSGallery and the repository:
- Invoke-Build.ArgumentCompleters.ps1 - completers for v5 native, TabExpansion2.ps1
- Invoke-TaskFromVSCode.ps1 - invokes a task from a build script opened in VSCode
- New-VSCodeTask.ps1 - generates VSCode tasks bound to build script tasks
- Invoke-TaskFromISE.ps1 - invokes a task from a script opened in ISE
And some more tools, see the repository:
- Build-JustTask.ps1 - invokes tasks without references
- Convert-psake.ps1 - converts psake build scripts, see wiki
- Show-BuildTree.ps1 - shows task trees as text
- Show-BuildDgml.ps1 - shows task trees as DGML
- Show-BuildGraph.ps1 - shows task trees by Graphviz
Install as module
Invoke-Build is distributed as the module InvokeBuild. In PowerShell 5.0 or with PowerShellGet you can install it by this command
To install the module with Chocolatey, run the following command. NOTE: This package is maintained by its owner, see package info.
choco install invoke-build
Import the module in order to make them available:
You can also call the module scripts directly. Consider to include the module directory to the path. In this scenario you do not have to import the module.
Install as scripts
Invoke-Build is also distributed as the NuGet package Invoke-Build.
This package includes the module files, so it can be used as the module, too,
either copy it to the standard module folder or import its
If you use scoop then invoke
scoop install invoke-build
and you are done, scripts are downloaded and their directory is added to the path. You may need to start a new PowerShell session with the updated path.
Otherwise, download the package manually, rename it to zip, extract its tools and rename to InvokeBuild. Consider to include this directory to the path so that script paths may be omitted in commands. Or copy to the PowerShell module directory in order to use as the module.
With cmd.exe use the helper ib.cmd. For similar experience in interactive
PowerShell use an alias
ib defined in a PowerShell profile
Set-Alias ib <path>\Invoke-Build.ps1
<path>\ may be omitted if the script is in the path.
If you are using the module (see #2899) or the script is not in the path
then use the full path to Invoke-Build.ps1 instead of Invoke-Build in
the below commands, see
In order to get help for the engine, invoke:
help Invoke-Build -full
In order to get help for internal commands:
. Invoke-Build help task -full help exec -full ...
- Basic Concepts : Why build scripts may have advantages over normal scripts.
- Script Tutorial : Take a look in order to get familiar with build scripts.
: Create scripts by
dotnet new ib.
- Project Wiki : Detailed tutorials, helpers, notes, and etc.
- Examples : Build scripts used in various projects.
- Tasks : Samples, patterns, and various techniques.
- Design Notes : Technical details for contributors.
- Release Notes
Questions, suggestions, and reports are welcome as project issues. Or just hit me up on Twitter @romkuzmin