Invoke-Build alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Build Automation" category.
Alternatively, view Invoke-Build alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
9.4 9.6 L1 Invoke-Build VS MSBuildThe Microsoft Build Engine (MSBuild) is the build platform for .NET and Visual Studio.
8.8 8.7 L3 Invoke-Build VS Cake:cake: Cake (C# Make) is a cross platform build automation system.
6.0 8.6 Invoke-Build VS FlubuCoreA cross platform build and deployment automation system for building projects and executing deployment scripts using C# code.
4.0 0.6 L5 Invoke-Build VS AlbacoreAlbacore is a professional quality suite of Rake tasks for building .NET or Mono based systems.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Invoke-Build or a related project?
Build Automation in PowerShell
Invoke-Build is a build and test automation tool which invokes tasks defined in PowerShell v2.0+ scripts. It is similar to psake but arguably easier to use and more powerful. It is complete, bug free, well covered by tests.
In addition to basic task processing the engine supports
- Incremental tasks with effectively processed inputs and outputs.
- Persistent builds which can be resumed after interruptions.
- Parallel builds in separate workspaces with common stats.
- Batch invocation of tests composed as tasks.
- Ability to define new classes of tasks.
Invoke-Build v3.0.1+ is cross-platform with PowerShell Core.
Invoke-Build can be effectively used in VSCode and ISE.
Several PowerShell Team projects use Invoke-Build.
The package includes the engine, helpers, and help:
- [Invoke-Build.ps1](Invoke-Build.ps1) - invokes build scripts, this is the build engine
- [Build-Checkpoint.ps1](Build-Checkpoint.ps1) - invokes persistent builds using the engine
- [Build-Parallel.ps1](Build-Parallel.ps1) - invokes parallel builds using the engine
- [Resolve-MSBuild.ps1](Resolve-MSBuild.ps1) - finds the specified or latest MSBuild
- [Show-TaskHelp.ps1](Show-TaskHelp.ps1) - shows task help, used on WhatIf calls
- about_InvokeBuild.help.txt - module help file
- InvokeBuild-Help.xml - content for Get-Help
Extra tools, see PSGallery and the repository:
- [Invoke-Build.ArgumentCompleters.ps1](Invoke-Build.ArgumentCompleters.ps1) - completers for v5 native, TabExpansion2.ps1
- [Invoke-TaskFromVSCode.ps1](Invoke-TaskFromVSCode.ps1) - invokes a task from a build script opened in VSCode
- [New-VSCodeTask.ps1](New-VSCodeTask.ps1) - generates VSCode tasks bound to build script tasks
- [Invoke-TaskFromISE.ps1](Invoke-TaskFromISE.ps1) - invokes a task from a script opened in ISE
And some more tools, see the repository:
- [ib.cmd](ib.cmd), [ib.sh](ib.sh) - cmd and bash helpers
- [Build-JustTask.ps1](Build-JustTask.ps1) - invokes tasks without references
- [Convert-psake.ps1](Convert-psake.ps1) - converts psake build scripts, see wiki
- [Show-BuildTree.ps1](Show-BuildTree.ps1) - shows task trees as text
- [Show-BuildDgml.ps1](Show-BuildDgml.ps1) - shows task trees as DGML
- [Show-BuildGraph.ps1](Show-BuildGraph.ps1) - shows task trees by Graphviz
Install as module
Invoke-Build is published as PSGallery module InvokeBuild. You can install it by one of these commands:
Install-Module InvokeBuild -Scope CurrentUser Install-Module InvokeBuild
To install the module with Chocolatey, run the following command:
choco install invoke-build
NOTE: The Chocolatey package is maintained by its owner.
Install as scripts
Invoke-Build is also published as nuget.org/packages/Invoke-Build.
If you use scoop then invoke:
scoop install invoke-build
and you are done, scripts are downloaded and their directory is added to the path. You may need to start a new PowerShell session with the updated path.
Otherwise, download the package manually, rename it to zip, extract its tools and rename to InvokeBuild. Consider including this directory to the path for invoking scripts by names. Or copy to the PowerShell module directory in order to use it as the module.
Install as dotnet tool
nuget.org/packages/ib provides Invoke-Build
as the dotnet tool
ib which may be installed as global or local.
To install the global tool:
dotnet tool install --global ib
To install the local tool:
dotnet new tool-manifest # once on setting up a repo with tools dotnet tool install --local ib
See [ib/README](ib/README.md) for more details about
If you are using the module (known issue #2899) or the script is not in the path then use the full path to Invoke-Build.ps1 instead of Invoke-Build in the below commands:
In order to get help for the engine, invoke:
help Invoke-Build -full
In order to get help for internal commands:
. Invoke-Build help task -full help exec -full ...
- Basic Concepts : Why build scripts may have advantages over normal scripts.
- Script Tutorial : Take a look in order to get familiar with build scripts.
: Create scripts by
dotnet new ib.
- Project Wiki : Detailed tutorials, helpers, notes, and etc.
- Examples : Build scripts used in various projects.
- Tasks : Samples, patterns, and various techniques.
- Design Notes : Technical details for contributors.
- Release Notes
Questions, suggestions, and reports are welcome as project issues. Or just hit me up on Twitter @romkuzmin