Open XML SDK alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Office" category.
Alternatively, view Open XML SDK alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
.NET Core library to create custom reports based on Word docx or HTML documents and convert to PDF
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Open XML SDK or a related project?
Open XML SDK
The Open XML SDK provides tools for working with Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents. It supports scenarios such as:
- High-performance generation of word-processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Populating content in Word files from an XML data source.
- Splitting up (shredding) a Word or PowerPoint file into multiple files, and combining multiple Word/PowerPoint files into a single file.
- Extraction of data from Excel documents.
- Searching and replacing content in Word/PowerPoint using regular expressions.
- Updating cached data and embedded spreadsheets for charts in Word/PowerPoint.
- Document modification, such as adding, updating, and removing content and metadata.
Table of Contents
The official release NuGet packages for Open XML SDK are available on Nuget.org.
The NuGet package for the latest builds of the Open XML SDK is available as a custom feed on MyGet. You can trust this package source, since the custom feed is locked and only this project feeds into the source. Stable releases here will be mirrored onto NuGet and will be identical.
For latests changes, please see the [changelog](CHANGELOG.md)
Package currently supports the following targets:
- .NET 3.5
- .NET 4.0
- .NET 4.6
- .NET Standard 1.3
- .NET Standard 2.0.
If You Have Problems
If you want to report a problem (bug, behavior, build, distribution, feature request, etc...) with the SDK built by this repository, please feel free to post a new issue and someone will try to help.
If you have "how-to" questions please post to one of the following resources:
- On .NET Core and .NET 5, zip packages do not have a way to stream data. Thus, the working set can explode in certain situations. This is a known issue.
- On .NET Core, targeting .NET Framework 4.5+, and .NET 5,
System.Uriwill not parse invalid links. This causes an exception. A workaround in v2.12.0+ of OpenXml SDK is to use
OpenSettings.RelationshipErrorRewriterto rewrite them to something that can be parsed. A discussion is available here to enable something more robust in
- On .NET Framework, an
IsolatedStorageExceptionmay be thrown under certain circumstances. This generally occurs when manipulating a large document in an environment with an AppDomain that does not have enough evidence. A sample with a workaround is available here.
The functionality of the specific classes in this version of the Open XML SDK is similar to version 2.5, therefore the Open XML SDK 2.5 for Office documentation available on MSDN is still accurate.
In addition to open sourcing of the SDK, Microsoft has opened up the conceptual documentation for public review / contributions. A copy of the documentation is available for you to edit and review in GitHub.
- Open XML Powertools: This provides example code and guidance for implementing a wide range of Open XML scenarios.
- ClosedXml: This library provides a simplified object model on top of the OpenXml SDK for manipulating and creating Excel documents.
- Serialize.OpenXml.CodeGen: This is a tool that converts an OpenXml document into the .NET code required to create it.
- Html2OpenXml: This is a tool that takes HTML and converts it to an OpenXml document.
- DocxToSource: This is a tool designed to be a replacement for the old OpenXML SDK Productivity Tool.